Thursday, September 6, 2012

Welcome to the Blog

My esteemed colleagues and friends,

Today I'd like to show you some fun and useful ways that you can use a class blog during a Call Lab session. You will be required to read, write, practice grammar, and listen in this "hands-on" session. If you do not complete all of the assignments during our time together, you can finish them at home for homework :D

Sit back and enjoy the ride!
HC


Below is a typical welcome letter that I write to the students:

Dear Students:

The purpose of this blog is threefold. First, it will be a place for you to do a lot of your writing and grammar assignments. I will also place weekly schedules and updates on it.

The second purpose for this blog is for us to share useful information (where to go, where to shop, what to do if you have a problem, etc.). You can also use the blog to post items of interest, such as articles, pictures, invitations, etc.

Finally, I will use the blog to post internet links for different activities such as on-line grammar practice/quizzes and other activities that I think will benefit you.

You should check this blog every few days in order to keep current with the class.

About due dates:  If something is due on Wednesday, then you have all of Wednesday to complete it. That means its late on Thursday. Try your best to complete assignments on time; however, if you miss the deadline, you still need to do it.

I look forward to a great semester with all of you, and I look forward to "seeing" you on-line,
HC

p.s. To write something on the blog, click on "comments" and write your post.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Holly and everyone, I'd like to use a blog but how do I encourage correct spelling, punctuation and grammar? In Level 2, I had students write a draft of the topic, I corrected it and then said "post" for the final draft. That worked, but it can be tedious. However, I love the idea of students seeing each other's responses and writing. Maybe I'll try a blog this term if I can catch enough in the workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a good point, Velva. What I basically do to address this is hone in on the lesson I'm trying to teach and correct the mistakes I see on the blog--mainly the mistakes related to that lesson--so that everybody will benefit from them. I might highlight their mistake or draw attention to it in some way that they can see that it is wrong and then correct it.

      I will show you an example of this in the workshop tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Hi Holly!

    Your student Emaida baked a cake and stayed up late decorating it. Does she get extra credit?

    Gracias!

    ReplyDelete